Thursday, May 5, 2016

Transfolk Treated Right

A recent interchange of emails between myself and a Fred Meyer store in Bremerton. I also sent this message to the Bremerton police chief, who immediately said, since the store was in Kitsap county jurisdiction, he would send it to the Sheriff. Bremerton has a bad rep, but there is a steady undercurrent of decency, acceptance and multi-culturism in that town (as well as an vibrant and interesting arts community).

My first email to Fred Meyer: 

Hi - Have always loved your store & the folks in it. But on the 30th of April, 2016, I think I might have witnessed bad behavior connected to the trans bathroom controversy. While I was in one of your women's restroom stall, I heard someone come mumbling in to use the stalls; it was a man's voice. I wasn't upset; sometimes we wander into the wrong restrooms, if no one else can be seen. Perhaps it was a transwoman. I don't know; I didn't stay to verify. But when I left, I found a group of men and a boy standing against the wall opposite the restroom, as though waiting for something. They were probably waiting for a friend to use the men's restroom. BUT - lately, restrooms have been targeted in an attempt by certain groups to humiliate and harm transfolk. I'm hoping I was just being paranoid, but just in case, I thought I'd give you a head's up. Bremerton has always been an admirably politically-involved town, so anything can happen. And thanks again for being such a good store and giving me the opportunity to contact you (I know - arguing over who gets to use the bathroom; childish, but transfolk get beaten, raped and killed all the time. And need a place to pee in safety).

Their email to me:


From: CustomerService@kroger.com
To: donnabarr@hotmail.comDate: Thu, 5 May 2016 07:08:35 -0400Subject: RE: Your Comments (#23812679)Dear Donna,

Thank you for contacting Kroger Customer Connect. 


I am sincerely sorry for your negative experience at the rest room of our Fred Meyer store located at 5050 State Highway 303 Ne. Your concerns regarding the issues faced by transgender people are commendable and I really appreciate them. I have shared your experience in detail with the Store Management Team so they are aware and can review the situation and make your future visits to the store pleasurable..

Please know our Store Manager is always open to direct feedback. It is important to the Manager to speak personally to our customers about areas that need improvement as well as our successes.


Please feel free to reply to this email or call us at 1-800-576-4377 and reference case number 23812679 should you have further questions or concerns. We appreciate hearing from our valued customers and will assist in any way possible. 

Thank you for shopping with us and have a great day. Sincerely,HarpreetKroger Customer Connect The Kroger Family of Stores 



Dear Harprett:

Thank you so much for your quick answer, and your caring view of all your customers.

I've always been very happy with your store, and this is one more reason to appreciate you all.

I'm very involved in making our world a better place, and a steady user of social media. My internet friends will be happy to discover that the Bremerton Fred Meyer is even better than we could hope.

Donna Barr

1 comment:

Fran / Blue Gal said...

What a nice exchange. THAT'S how it's done, on both ends.